We all know that nutrition is not just one of, but probably THE most important component to a healthy lifestyle. You can workout all you want, but without a healthy diet to go along with it, you’re likely not going to look and feel the way you want.
In general, most of us know how to eat relatively healthy. For example, we know that an apple is a better choice than a donut. What trips many people up is the big P-word: PROTEIN (what’d you think I was gonna say?)
Once again, many of us know that protein is necessary in any healthy diet, but here are HUGE misconceptions as to how much protein we should eat as well as how much protein we’re actually eating.
In fact, according to this study, women especially consume inadequate amounts of protein each day. While protein is essential for building and maintaining lean muscle mass, it is also necessary for normal bodily function, so it is important that we’re all getting enough of it.
I’m guessing at this point you’re thinking “yes, i know i need to eat more protein but how?!” And so comes the next part of this article. We are very aware that most people think consuming more protein means a daily episode of chugging protein shakes and force-feeding boiled chicken, but it isn’t so! In fact, we’ve outlined 8 ways you can sneakily add protein into your daily meals without really even noticing. Perhaps, you may even ENJOY it! (Our Fit in 42 groups have been holding each other accountable, sharing ideas, and absolutely crushing their goals using these exact tools. It’s why we love our groups so much! The camaraderie and success we’ve seen with them is unparalleled. (Our next group starts April 3rd)
We encourage you to try these ideas out:
- Add protein powder to your morning oatmeal: After you’ve cooked your oatmeal, mix in a 1/2 scoop of your favorite protein powder. This allows you to choose your own flavor too!
- Add egg whites to your morning oatmeal: Pour egg whites into the pan while your oats are cooking. Stir often. You won’t even taste the egg whites and your oats will be fluffier than ever!
- Add protein powder into your smoothie: Simple addition. Just add a scoop of your favorite protein powder into your normal smoothie mix and BLEND.
- Add lean meat to your salads: Grabbing a salad for lunch? Great! Ask them to add in some grilled chicken or shrimp to get a quick and easy protein boost.
- Add egg whites to your regular scrambled eggs: This is a simple one. Making scrambled eggs? Sneak in an additional 1-2 egg whites. You won’t know the difference and the whites are where the protein lives so you’ll get an added spike!
- Use greek yogurt as a fruit dip: You can choose flavored or plain greek yogurt for this. I find this to be best with apples, strawberries, and peaches!
- Use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream: People tend to make a face at this one, but don’t knock it ’til you try it! Making homemade tacos or burritos? A dollop of fat-free, plain greek yogurt does the trick and you won’t even know the difference!
- Snack on edamame as an afternoon snack: There are frozen packages of this in the freezer aisle at most grocery stores. This is an easy one to heat up in the microwave for a salty, protein-packed snack when the mid-afternoon munchies kick in.
While there are hundreds of ways to include more protein in your daily meals, this is a good start. Try these out and stay tuned!! We have an EXCELLENT cookbook upcoming with over 70 pages of healthy, delicious, protein-packed recipes that will make your life WAY easier!
In the meantime, for some great recipes check out our Fit Body Starter Kit: